Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 and DSPs

I actually chose not to participate in my senior prom. My deep reasoning for choosing not to go isn't all that complicated. I simply didn't feel the need to go to an event where I wouldn't enjoy myself. Not to say that prom itself isn't a fun night, I just felt like it wasn't right for me. Thinking about going, I don't think I would've felt right being there, I would've felt like a party outcast, if you will. In a way, I'm proud of myself that I didn't fall under the influence of the dominant social practice of prom in which it was an event that you HAD to attend. I was given the option to go, I chose not to go, simple as that.

While I didn't participate in going, that didn't stop for at least being visually exposed to preperation to the big night for my classmates. It was impossible to go on facebook the day of prom without seeing status' which were filled with anticipation of the big night ahead of them. Everybody was getting dressed up, excited as ever, and ready to tend their senior year of high school with a bang, good for them.

Down the road in my life, I don't think ill regret not going to my senior prom. Sure, there will probably be times I have those "what if" moments, but in the end, I'm more sure that I can go on with my life without attending my senior prom. I do however, hope that my classmates who did feel the need to go did in fact have an awesome time and create memories that will last for lifetimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment